Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Winter blahs....

A friend of mine has a blog (who doesn't have a friend with a blog?) and she made an entry last month about caring for her elderly and ailing mother-in-law.  
It touched something deep down inside of me.
Plus, I realized that there are people out there living with similar challenges to mine. 
It helps.
This past few months, my state of health has resembled a roller coaster.  One that instead of going high and back to ground level, goes low and back.  Even though I am doing everything I can to correct this situation, ( I'm not here to talk about my health, or my age) I have noticed that Mary regresses during the lows.  She is not making progress at this point.  
And, like my friend,  I wonder what to do.
Would she be better off living with someone who could take better care of her?
Does she resent the fact that I am not always there for her?
Why is she still hidden away in her little "box"?
Why does she refuse to smile?
Am I able to provide for her everything that she needs?

If I could just get someone to come in 1-2 hrs a day to help with her - oh what a difference that could make.  
Mary loves friends.
But they never come by anymore.
Mary has been ill the last 2 days.  Tummy ache, throwing up, fever.  
Today I drove her to school again, something that Dan has been doing for the last few weeks.  Mary was so grumpy looking.  She looks grumpy at me most of the day.
 
I have to admit that it makes me feel sad.
What is it that she needs?  
Since she won't talk, I can only wonder and anguish over that question.
Not so many years ago she was a happy, smiling, giggling girl, who would dance and talk jibberish.
We just HAVE to get that Mary back!!

1 comment:

  1. My son, Kellen, has worked for DDD, Dept of Developmental Disabilities here in Washington state. He has clients with varying degrees of disabilities; cerebral palsy, fetal alcohol syndrome and autism. Some he helps on a daily basis, some it is just hanging out for 3 hours once a week to play video games and other activities. A lot of the things he does is for socialization skills with some one besides a family member. One of his clients comes to our house once a week and we treat him like Kellen's friend. It's very calming to them to have a friend outside the family for these young men. Kellen has a gift for this. I'm amazed at his patience and caring. He'll make a great nurse. I don't know if Utah has a state funded program like this, but they are available as a private pay option too. Kellen also worked for the ARC of Tri-Cities for 5 years. He was a a camp director for their summer program for a few years as well. His cients were at one time ARC clients.
    My comment is so long. Sorry about that. You do have your hands full. I feel I just fell into the trap of trying to fix everyone's problem instead of just listening. Sometimes knowing that I'm heard and that my thoughts and feelings matter means a great deal to me. Yes, we do need to keep in touch. I can't believe you keep up two blogs! It takes forever to do one and I haven't even thought of adding too many pictures yet. And you've been doing this for awhile. You are such a good mom and you are so involved in each of your children's lives. When did you turn into Superwoman?

    ReplyDelete