Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gotta get this off my chest....

On Sunday - in church no less, my teenage daughter overheard some (rude) teen boys making fun of Mary. 
They said she looks like "Frankenstein".
I realize they are "teenage boys", and that both words carry heaps of possible explanations for stupid behavior, but I can't excuse it!  At age 16, all human beings know how powerfully words can hurt.  
It hurt not only Mary, but the rest of us too. 
I really wanted to march over to his house and slap his pimply face!  There, I said it!!
After 27 years, I am still appalled by the amount of people who don't seem to acknowledge that Mary can hear. and understand. and feel. everything!   
On a more positive note, Mary's picture was in the newspaper.  See:   http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=LIFESTYLE&template=archive&Date=20110207   
(It's  possible that the link won't work because we have the only online newspaper in the US that requires a paid subscription. )  Anyhoo, the reporter came to do an article about the Children of Hope Academy which Mary attends 3 hours a day.  They did a great job - lots of great photos and a nice long article, plus a plug for the 5K Fun Run on March 5th.  
We are having a better week also - more smiles and happiness.  She initiated going home a few days ago.  I got to the school, and on her own, she got her stuff and headed for the door, going out and looking for the car.  ANYthing she initiates is GREAT with me!!
Now that I've vented, I feel much better.
Why in the heck are my paragraphs highlighted??  Hmm...it is what it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment