Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moving Forward

Sigh.
I didn't say that loud enough.
SIGH!
Dan and Mary returned last night from Mary's evaluation
with NACD and Bob Doman founder.
Taken as a whole - it went very well.
Even though Mary would NOT go up the stairs to his office.
No way Jose!
Coaxing, prodding, bribing, nudging would not work.
She was terrified, plus, she wanted to watch Mary Poppins.
So, Dan got her settled with Mary Poppins in the waiting area, and he went up alone. They talked about Mary. It was good.
Then Bob came downstairs and met Mary, then just sat and observed her while talking with Dan.
I am impressed that a man that important would do what it
takes to meet with Mary and help her.
He made lots of good recommendations.
And, a formal Individualized Plan is forthcoming.
So, why do I sigh?
Because my life is about to change AGAIN -
and this time it will be BIG TIME!
I know this isn't about me, but I feel so incapable at this point.
I am 53 yrs old and starting to feel it.
But, I have to gear up and somewhere find the
energy and strength to do this.
I need a dragon stone, I guess.
He recommends that Mary be CONSTANTLY engaged.
No down time.
She has several repetitive behaviors that are getting in the way of learning, and we have to break all those habits.
How?
By having her doing something new all the time.
Every.
minute.
of.
the.
day.
How will we (I) ever do this?
How?
How?
How?
I feel exhausted just thinking about it.


(8 hours later....)
Okay - I am done whining.
No more pity parties.
I can do this!!

I will take one day at a time.
I won't try to do it all at once, but one step at a time.
I will improve and do better each day.
I will continue to move forward.
Just look at her! How could I not give her my best effort?


And, as Loren always says now, "NO WORRIES".
MARY IS WORTH IT ALL!
My new motto will hereafter be:
"Just take BABY STEPS"!

"Once upon a time, you looked into my eyes,
And you trusted me with your dreams."

2 comments: